E. Richard (Rick) Durant
Adjunct Professor - Accounting, Semi-retired
Mount Dora, FL | 407-832-3613 | firstname.lastname@example.org | linkedin.com/in/rickdurant
With 40+ years of experience (accounting, banking, technology, product management, international business & living outside the USA, business launches, business development, M&A, and teaching) I enjoy semi-retirement by sharing practical application and experience with colleagues in industry, and students in college classes.
· Accounting, training/mentoring, banking, operations, technology management, merger & acquisitions, international, software development, product management, strategic planning.
· Class room training, on-line course management, course development, coaching, mentoring, and personnel skills enhancement.
Office Automation Skills
· QuickBooks Certification, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, OneNote), Microsoft SharePoint, Microsoft Outlook (email, IM, calendar), WebEx, Camtasia, and a variety of web-based tools including web design and on-line course development.
Sep-2014 to Present
Adjunct Professor, accounting and business courses, primarily for 2 universities: Hodges University, Naples, FL and Rasmussen College, National Online
· Courses include: Introductory Accounting, Intermediate Accounting, Cost Accounting, Managerial Accounting, International Accounting, Accounting Information Systems, and Advanced Accounting.
Jan-2006 to Oct-2014
Vice President, D+H USA Inc. (formerly Harland Financial Solutions)
· As General Manager, I performed turn-around activities for a product line previously acquired by the company, turning into one of the leading, innovative core platforms in the USA for banks.
· As a Segment Executive, I managed all client service activities (implementations, systems, training, conversion, support, and professional services) for the core systems line of business for 1,000 financial institutions.
· As part of M&A team successfully acquired a product unit and launched a captive off-shore development center in India.
· For the Chief Product Officer, performed strategic product management initiatives.
· During my tenure with D+H, I was one of a few instructors in the company’s Foundations of Leadership courses, geared towards new managers.
Mar-2004 to Dec-2005
Professor, Southwest Florida College
· For this career college, I taught over 12 courses in accounting and business. Course development and instruction included: financial accounting, entrepreneurship, leadership, management, computer accounting, taxation, finance, and more.
· I assisted over 300 students in receiving their A.S. degrees in: Accounting Technology, Business Management & Marketing, or Hospitality Management.
· Was first professor to have website for student assistance for courses I taught in classroom, plus, was first to author and implement a complete on-line course.
· Received Teacher of the Year Award for 2004 – 2005
1988 to 2004
Executive Management, Fiserv, Inc.
· Developed in-house skills for international acquisitions, successfully completed two deals in 2001. These were first company acquisitions by Fiserv outside of the USA.
· A major contributor in global growth of business from $5 revenues in 1990 to over $250 million in 2002, all via organic growth.
· Assisted in initial launch of global operations. I personally lived and set-up operations for Asia, Australia, Latin America and the Caribbean. Also, participated in European launch, and performed market analysis for the Middle East.
· Managing Director for sales, sales support, project implementations, customer support, and business administration for offshore locations in Asia (1990 to 1992) and then Latin America / Caribbean (1993 to 1995).
· Director for software development for international product line of banking systems including new functions for research, product marketing, and product management; including USA and offshore development models.
· Spent 2 years in Chicago as Product Manager for a nationwide service bureau with over 300 financial institutional clients.
1982 to 1987
Sr. Vice President, Fidelity Information Systems (formerly The Kirchman Corp.)
· Product specialist for online systems covering customer relationship management, financial systems, and financial analytics.
· Sr. Executive managing over 100 staff for the mainframe banking product line in all functions of sales support, training, documentation, software development, and customer support.
· Sr. Executive for launch of new mid-range banking product line for the USA market.
· Successfully developed and implemented a nationwide joint marketing and sales program with IBM, covering seminars, training, education and direct sales for the financial industry to over 200 IBM Customer Centers across the USA.
· Taught accounting and on-line systems courses for bankers.
1976 to 1982
Continuous promotions to Sr. VP, BancorpSouth, Inc.
· Bank accountant responsible for financial analysis and developed in-house budget / forecasting solutions, as well as, asset-liability management reporting.
· Bank holding company auditor, developed audit disciplines for the bank, leasing company, finance company, trust department, and insurance agency including process flows and systems of internal controls.
· Project Manager for new IT implementation, business rationalization, and process engineering for the bank holding company. The project achieved significant improvements in process, productivity, products, services, revenue, and profitability resulting in staff headcount from 600 down to 400, state-wide banking operations (60 locations), centralized all back-office operations, new call center and MIS capabilities, and took overall ROA from .45% to 1.20%. This project was implemented across a series of phases and completed in less than 14 months.
· During my tenure with the bank, I taught Bank Administration Institute courses at the local University.
1971 – 1975
Bachelor of Science (BS) in Business Administration, University of Southern Mississippi
Masters of Science (MS) in Accounting, University of Southern Mississippi
Management Skills, American Management Association (AMA)
Mergers & Acquisitions, American Management Association (AMA)
Certified Facilitator, Development Dimensions International (DDI)
QuickBooks Pro/Premier Certification, Intuit
Personal & interests
Married, permanent resident of Mount Dora, FL
Music, reading, fishing
Personal and professional references available upon request
- and a variety of online learning management systems.
- Microsoft Office
- QuickBooks accounting software
- various accounting applications
1975 - 1976
Masters of Science Degree at University of Southern Mississippi
Undergraduate degrees in Math and Accounting, Masters in Accounting
Sep-2015 to present
Adjunct Professor at Hodges University
I was teaching in class on campus in Naples, FL, but recent relocation to Mount Dora, I now teach classes online.
Jan-2016 to present
Adjunct Professor at Rasmussen College - Nationwide
I teach entirely online, courses in both Accounting and Business.