COVER LETTER START
Kurt P. Hinderer
1139 NE 86th Way
Hillsboro, OR 97006
Phone: (971) 645-1918
November 5th, 2019
301 Baker St.
Mount Dora, FL 32757
To whom it may concern,
My name is Kurt Hinderer and I am very interested in your Generalist Game Programmer. I have been working in education publishing and assessment but I’m interested in changing careers. I think my previous work experience will translate to localization writing and editing.
I am currently working in a small, independent game development studio that I and 3 friends founded. I am the lead programmer for our projects and I am responsible for designing a part of the game world. I have a few examples of games that I developed for a game design call all of which had a short development times and are not polished. The link to these games is: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxdBdQ8XHwzmWDNBUUZ6bWRaVFk
In my assessment work, I would get raw items from writers or vendors. I would edit these items to make sure that they were clearly written and mathematically valid. I worked collaboratively with editors and clients to further refine the items. I documented the process, items, and tests. I have always looked for ways to improve and streamline all processes. I know how to meet deadlines and communicate co-works and clients from all over the country.
Thank you for this opportunity. I look forward to hearing from you.
Kurt Peter Hinderer
Hillsboro, OR 97006
Video Game Programmer
Unity programmer and game designer
Designing and programming an independent video game, integrating art with the code. Worked in publishing for 13 years. Developed high quality math items for public facing high stakes tests. Revised items to be clear and concise. Communicated and worked collaboratively with coworkers, vendors, and clients.
Unity3D | C# Programming | Game Design | Publishing Process
Design Changes | Vendor Communication | Customer Reviews
Portland Community College, Portland, OR
Mathematics Instructor 2010 to Present
Facilitate one class each quarter in evenings or on Saturday. Teach range of mathematics from basic / remedial math to pre-calculus.
· Respond to students’ questions, in a manner that fosters understanding of mathematics, logic and structure.
· Engage with adults returning to school, helping bridge gaps in knowledge while pushing forward with current curriculum.
Questar Assessment, Inc., Apple Valley, MN (remote)
Assessment Specialist, Math 2017 to 2019
Demonstrated expert in mathematics. Applied style guides and principles of universal design to develop items and tests. Worked collaboratively with other departments. Led item writer workshops, content reviews, and bias reviews with state educators both in public and virtually. Worked on Tennessee and Mississippi state assessments.
· Helped others with technical issues within month of being employed by learning the item authoring and customer viewing tools quickly.
· Created tool to keep test requirements and how test was currently meeting requirements in an easily visible format, leading to quick form construction and allowing team to meet tight deadlines.
Houghton-Mifflin Hardcourt, Itasca, IL (remote)
Assessment Specialist 2015 to 2017
Developed items and tests for various text books, both print and online. Reviewed conversions from print text books to online versions. Worked on Continuum and Next Generation Science Standards.
· Helped lead team to create company’s 1st automated item generation (AIG) items by developing tools, procedures, and directly assisting other coworkers on project.
· Learned new standards outside area of expertise, facilitating review and development of items in other content areas, such as language arts science, thereby helping to meet deadlines.
Measured Progress Inc., Dover, NH (remote)
Content Design and Development Specialist II – Mathematic 2014 to 2015
Wrote and edited items for College Board and Oklahoma End of Instruction tests. Created training materials for vendors. Worked collaboratively with other departments.
· Improved quality of items from writers by refining and clarifying item specifications and rewrote examples.
CTB / McGraw-Hill Education, Monterey, CA (remote after 2006) 2004 to 2014
Math Content Editor
Oversaw small groups of coworkers and provided training on procedures. Led in person and virtual customer reviews. Worked with item writers and vendors. Completed multiple projects including PARCC, Smarter Balanced, and Acuity. Employed through Kelly Services from 2004 to mid-2007.
· Decreased time between rounds of editing and lowered costs by eliminating printing through helping to develop paperless routing system.
· Met very tight schedules, including independently creating and deploying 18 tests with increasing difficulty from grades 3 to 8 complete with approval from statistical team in week and half, making company’s product successful.
· Figured out how to create technology enhanced items from existing tool, helping company compete in market with demand.
· Learned new systems quickly and identified shortcuts, resulting in teaching others and completing complex tasks.
· Saved money and time by reusing items that met multiple state standards, quickly creating customized state tests by aligning existing items to multiple state standards and Common Core.
Master of Arts (MA), Mathematics, University of California, Santa Cruz, Santa Cruz, CA
Bachelor of Arts (BA), Mathematics and Philosophy, Theater Arts minor
University of California, Santa Cruz, Santa Cruz, CA
Inexorable Studios, Portland, OR https://inexorablestudios.com/
Lead programmer/Co-founder 2017 to Present
Founded a video game studio with 3 other people. Working on a game from the ground up. Helped design the world. Programmed the game engine in Unity.
· Developed both a 2D and a 3D engine for the game.
· Leading the development of two of the zones in the world.
Unity Certified Programmer Exam Prep Course – April 2019